Monument record DEN 007 - Church of St John the Baptist

Please read our .

Summary

Church of St John the Baptist.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 1883 7478 (88m by 67m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM17SE
Civil Parish DENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Church of St John the Baptist. Isolated. W tower gone as has N chapel. Decorated chancel, perpendicular nave. Re-used Flemish brass to Anthony, third son of Edward Bedingfield, kt, 1574. Rest of original Flemish brass has been discovered at Yealhampton, Devon, in commemoration of Isabel Coplestone, 1580. Details in (S1)(S2).

2004: A brief survey was undertaken of the Church of St John the Baptist, Denham. It was prompted by the discovery during repair work, of a timber arch, built into the wall over the chancel arch. The present church is a fragment of it former self, built in the 13th century, it was extensively re-modelled in the 15th century before being part demolished, during the period 1744-1830 losing its south tower, north chapel and the western end of the nave. The timber arch was part of an open truss or brace and a remaining piece of the previous nave roof, it no longer served a structural purpose and its position over the chancel must be significant in its survival (S3).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 187-188.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 260.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Historic Building Recording. Gill D, SCCAS 2004/127.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 12 2009 10:44AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.