Monument record NBN 019 - Probable Prehistoric or Roman trackway.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2796 4311 (168m by 319m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HEMLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cropmarks of trackway running NNW-SSE, other cropmarks possibly field or toft plot boundaries (S1)(S2)(S3). Ring ditch NBN 018 within complex.
A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman trackway is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, running from TM 27914327 to TM 28084296. It is visible as two parallel curvilinear ditches, roughly 7m apart, running from north to south. It is probably part of the Later Prehistoric or Roman field system (HMY 006). (S4) (S5) (S6)
See NBN 018, NBN 021 and HMY 029 for nearby ring ditches.
NB Due to an alteration in the boundaries the site is now in Hemley parish.
- <M1> SSF46570 (No record type): APs: (S1)CP/97/38/13 + 14(S2).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL85) 22-JUN-1973.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/19 (EXC 19117/13) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/20 (EXC 19117/14) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/1/230 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/16 (4698/18A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S6> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/18 (EXC 19028/09) 13-JUN-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 2:48PM