Monument record BOY 016 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3728 4708 (90m by 115m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BOYTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A church is recorded at Boyton in the Domesday Survey. Two other churches are also recorded for the parish of Boyton, thought to be located in the parishes of Gedgrave (but church no longer standing) and Butley (S3).
Church of St Andrew. This church has been rebuilt, except the rather poor W tower but by the turret staircase of the latter at the NW corner of the nave, there remains the C12 shafted quoins of the original nave and the external doorway of modern N transept is made up of very interesting and unusually decorated C12 stonework. The nave and chancel mostly of 1869. Norman doorway reset (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 227.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 107.
- <S3> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, Domesday Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 1993 12:00AM