Monument record LCS 018 - Church of St Margaret
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4388 6254 (79m by 140m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Pre 1066: 3 churches + 100 acres free land.
Church of St Mary, original church pulled down (1853) except for C15 tower, which was preserved. Church rebuilt in cruciform plan, consists of chancel, N & S transepts, nave, N & S porches, W tower (S3). Details in (S1)(S2).
There is a church, probably not this one, listed in Leiston in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Two other churches are recorded, thought to refer to churches in the parishes of Aldringham and Thebeton (S4). Scarfe records this as a possible Domesday Minster (S4).
2005: 2 test holes for new underfloor heating insertion monitored in April (S5) and for subsequent underfloor lowering in Sept 2005 (S6). No medieval levels disturbed though some re-used medieval stonework recorded. Details in (S6).
- --- SSF52262 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2005. St Margaret's., Leiston. A Record of Archaeological Work associated with the intersion of a new underfloor heating system.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 329.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 325.
- <S3> SSF7018 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk I-Y, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- <S5> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Boulter S (SCCAS), Leiseston st Margaret : Record of test pitting, 2005.
- <S6> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Boulter S (SCCAS), St Margaret's, Leiston, Monitoring Report 2005/166, 2005.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 23 2012 4:53PM