Monument record MUN 016 - Church of St Peter
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6997 6414 (107m by 104m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Churchyard and Church of St Peter. Consists of cruciform church with chancel, nave, aisles, N & S transepts, S porch and W tower. Four main periods of construction: C12 fragments in nave; early C14 tower; late C15/ early C16 - rebuilding of main body of church; 1851 - major restoration of C16 work.
Also remains of an 'Anchorite cell' situated N of tower (S1), or between the west end of the north aisle and the tower - a blocked doorway led into the aisle and there is a fragment of wall to the left (S4). Also see MUN 029 for possible ue-use of materials from the 'Anchorite cell'.
- <S1> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 368.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/5/5.
- <S4> SSF50213 Bibliographic reference: Mortlock D.P.. 1988. The Popular Guide to Suffolk Churches. 158-9.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2007 9:55AM