Monument record BKY 008 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 827 555 (54m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||BROCKLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church. Dedication St Andrew.
Status: rectory. Structure: chancel, nave, wooden S porch, W tower. Date: Decorated, tower late Perpendicular. Position: centre of parish (S5). The SIA visited St Andrew's church in Brockley in April 1860. The following was noted: a church of the Decorated period and a tower in the Perpendicular style, erected "it is supposed" at the cost of "Ricardus Coppyng" whose name appears at the base of the S wall of the tower. Jacobean pulpit bearing date 1614 (S1).
Nave C13 and chancel is of the Decorated period; "interesting knocker and lock, probably also early C14" on S door (S2).
Font of C13, C15 wooden S porch and early C13 double-drained piscina in chancel (S3).
The base of a Med cross lies in Brockley churchyard at TL 8274 5552. It measures 0.8m square by 0.5m high and carries some decoration. A square head and a short length of shaft rest in the socket (S4).
The cross was Scheduled on 24 January 2001. Details in (S6)
Note: adjoining scheduled moated sites BKY 004 & 005.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S6).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 408.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Suffolk, London 1975 (2nd ed), 117.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 247.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85NW14, 1976.
- <S5> SSF20771 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeol & Hist, 1984, ms.
- <S6> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 17-FEB-76.
- <S8> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 25" 1902.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2021 10:45AM