Monument record EDN 014 - Edwardstone Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Edwardstone Hall and garden.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 942 419 (310m by 429m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL94SW
Civil Parish EDWARDSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Edwardstone Hall and garden. Adjoins church, EDN 004.
Described in 1907 as `red brick mansion standing in a park near the church', occupied by the Lord of the Manor, Col Lowry-Corry JP (S1). Said to be Victorian mock Tudor although a hall was certainly present in a similar location in 1783 (S2) and location suggests early origin. Picture of Hall in Farrer Collection (early C20?) and C19 print exists. Demolished in 1952. Brick gatehouse remains (S3).
For ice-house see EDN 015.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 129.
  • <S2> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Dec 2 2020 11:40AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.