Monument record SUT 064 - Probable Later Prehistoric or Roman hut circle, Sutton parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2874 4651 (402m by 389m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Ring ditch circa 30m diameter, within enclosure SUT 063, and adjacent to other cropmarks - field boundary and possible trackway, SUT 065 (S1).
A probable Later Prehistoric or Roman hut circle, centred on TM 28734651, can be seen as a cropmark on aerial photographs. The ring ditch encloses an area 17.5m in diameter with a ditch of 1.5m at its widest. A probable entrance is visible in the south-east side of the ring ditch at TM 28744650. The cropmark of the ring ditch is unclear on the western side. The size of the ring ditch, along with the very clear entrance way, suggests that the feature may be a hut circle marking the site of a Later Prehistoric or Roman round house. The location of the ring ditch within a rectilinear enclosure which also contains another possible hut circle also supports this interpretation. (S1-S4)
NB The feature is also described as part of SUT 063.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CJG24) 10-JUL-1979.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP CJG 24; (S2).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2846/8 (EXC 191180/01) 23-JUL-1979 (P/97/39/1).
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2846/9 (EXC 19118/02) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2846/4 (SF1767/97) 04-JUN-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2013 10:00AM