Monument record TYN 053 - A possible Bronze Age round barrow or Prehistoric circular enclosure is visible as a cropmark to the west of Morston Hall, Trimley St Martin parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2572 3861 (44m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Large, single ring ditch or small circular enclosure, circa 40m diameter, with single dark feature near centre (S1)(S2). Other, indistinct, cropmarks nearby.
A possible Bronze Age round barrow or Prehistoric circular enclosure is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM 25723861 to the west of Morston Hall, Trimley St Martin parish. The ring ditch encloses an area 37m in diameter and is on average only 1m in width. Within the ring ditch there appear to be two small pits, located at TM 25723861 and TM 25723860, although other similar marks in the rest of the field suggest that these could be natural. A larger, sub-circular enclosure with a possible funnelled entrance is also visible to the south of the ring ditch but it is unclear as to whether the two are directly related. It is most likely that the ring ditch represents the site of a large Bronze Age round barrow, possibly with two central grave pits but, despite the lack of visible entrances, the feature may also be a Prehistoric circular enclosure with some other function. (S1-S5)
See TYN 066 for undated cropmarks to the east and TYN 101 for possible Post Medieval field boundaries to the north-west. (S6)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL71) 22-JUL-1973.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BNL 71 & CJB 85; (S2).
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/73247 017-019 05-JUN-1973.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CJB85) 27-JUN-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/1 (956/308) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/12 (4506/49) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 13/02/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 9:06PM