Monument record NBN 021 - Possibe Bronze-Age round barrow.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2800 4319 (168m by 280m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HEMLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch (circa 25m diameter) cropmark. Not particularly clear on AP (S1). Probably same, but providing more precise location, as NBN 011.
A possible Bronze Age round barrow, centred on TM 27984330, can be seen as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs. The photograph mentioned above (S1) was not available for examination but presumably it shows the same feature. The ring ditch has an overall diameter of circa 21m and appears to be slightly sub-circular. It does not appear to be related to the field system cropmarks in the area. Its size suggests it may be a round barrow of Bronze Age date. (S2) (S3) (S4) (S5)
See HMY 006 for other cropmarks in area.
NB The ring ditch is now located in Hemley due to the alteration of the parish boundary.
- <S1> SSF18623 (No record type): SAU, AP, ACR 16, July 1976.
- <M1> SSF42020 (No record type): AP: (S1) - filed under Hemley 006).
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2384/1/232 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/3/260 (1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/13 (4578/05) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2843/16 (4698/18A) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 12:59PM