Monument record HRT 005 - Hartest Mill

Please read our .


Small post mill with roundhouse rebuilt in 1844.


Grid reference Centred TL 825 520 (25m by 25m)
Map sheet TL85SW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Small post mill with roundhouse rebuilt in 1844. It ceased work in 1926 and was deliberately burnt down c.1958 by its owner to prevent anyone restoring it. The remains of the roundhouse can be seen next to the adjacent steam mill (now gutted). There were two spring and two common sails, two pairs of stones in the head and tail and a fantail (S1). Earliest mapping 1783 (S2). Shown on OS 1:10560 map of 1959 (S3).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 44.
  • <S2> (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills 1979, 135.
  • <S3> (No record type): OS, !:10,560 map, TL 85 SW, 1959.
  • <S4> Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
  • <S5> Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1959.
  • <S6> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 9 2021 11:44AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.