Monument record BNL 019 - Medieval deer park, Benhall Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 366 616 (1177m by 1677m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BENHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Benhall Medieval deer park which continued throughout the post-medieval period (S6). The approximate area of the park is mapped as shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map, as of Sam Rush Esq (High Sheriff of Suffolk 1780)(S1), but excluding (separate?) extension to south (S1).
Includes emparked areas of former Medieval & post-medieval settlement to south of church (BNL 009) and on edge of Silverlace Green (BNL 013 & 014).
The park is associated with the lodge known as `Benhall Old Lodge' by 1837 (S2) The new lodge and park were build to the south in the 19th century (BNL 017). Old Benhall Lodge said to have been built in 1638 by Sir Edward Duke (S3).
November 1995: Area of defined park extended to N to include `The Basin', ornamental pond(?) and former garden? Probably former deerk park (& lodge?) - see (S4).
2010 Heritage Asset Assessment was carried out on the Walled Pond at Old Lodge. The walled pond was depicted in its present form on the tithe map of 1847, having been built since 1818 - possibly re-using bricks from an exceptionally large late-18th century stable block to the west which was partly demolished during the same period. A smaller walled pond which no longer survives was also built to the west of the farm yard. Walled ponds were expensive but fashinable in the 19th century on the 'model' farms of gentry estats such as this. At 30.5m in length by 16.5m this example is unusually big and remains a visually and historically impressive feature that survives in largely original condition. The solid base appears to consist of brick and slopes upwards towards the original entrance in the nort-western corner, indicated by a worn gate pier. The entrance remained intact until a new wall was built within the last ten years to accommodate a wooden platform reached by steps cut into the oringinal eastern wall (S5).
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF12821 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 1 inch map, 1837.
- <S3> SSF7016 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks, 1086-c.1600', page 67.
- <S6> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF58578 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 15 2021 10:27AM