Monument record ADB 021 - Hall Farm Brickworks; Aldeburgh Brickworks; Read's Brickworks

Please read our .

Summary

Hall Farm Brickworks and associated features.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 4510 5716 (645m by 358m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM45NE
Civil Parish ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Hall Farm Brickworks. Operated by: Thomas Kersey? 1840 (perhaps at another site?); Thomas Adamson Riggs 1879-1888 & 1892-1900; Thomas Cooper 1888- 1892; Joseph Flinthan 1900-1910; Page & Kingsley 1910-1914; Captain C S M Bateman Hanbury 1918-1921; W C Reade & Co 1926 - present. One of last working brickworks in Suffolk. Not shown on 1837 OS 1st edition map. For other brick kilns in Aldeburgh, see ADB Misc.
Report (of 1981) held by Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society (S2).

2002: Surveyed as part of Coast and Intertidal survey, 2002 - Timber jetty associated with brickworks. Various phases, various upright and horizontal timbers. Also ironwork present - train tracks alongside E and W side of jetty. Pottery and brick all around area. Brick paved areas. Earth embankment also survives back from jetty to brickworks track. Note: train tracks also visible crossing the vehicle track from brickworks down to foreshore. The jetty and tramway are marked on the 1st edition OS map (S3).

2008: Photographic record of 'Brickfields'. The house was constructed between 1880 and 1900 and is believed to have been for the manager/foreman of a nearby brickworks. The house comprised a two-storey rectangular block with a single storey 'service' wing to the north. A porch structure incorporating the front door is present on the south side. To the north of the house was a small brick built shed, formerly an outside toilet, and a group of sheds joined with a linking roof structure. (S4).

2012: a large set of wooden brickmould with the structures they were prodced for survive - see email in digital archive.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> (No record type): Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society, Newsletter 21 (Supplement), April 1988.
  • <S2> (No record type): Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society, Newsletter 61, 1998.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2003. Assessment Report, Rapid Field Survey of the Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone. Everett, L. SCCAS. Site record, May 2002.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2008. Historic Building Record: 'Brickfields', Saxmundham Road, Aldeburgh.
  • <S5> Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. August 2010.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Apr 30 2018 2:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.