Monument record WLG 008 - Small post mill with roundhouse.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8795 5778 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WHELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Small post mill with roundhouse. It ceased work in the late 1930s and was demolished in the 1950s. The remains of the roundhouse can be seen on the mound which it occupied. There were two single and two double-shuttered patent sails, a fantail and two pairs of stones in the head and tail. The mill was unusual in having a gallery at eaves level and also a brace in front of the sails (S1). Earliest mapping is 1783 (S2).
Cited NGR probably too far E & N (?). Accurately plotted on (S3).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 6 1996 12:00AM