Monument record SWD 012 - Mights Bridge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5042 7692 (68m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTHWOLD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Mights Bridge, Southwold (site of former drawbridge) crossing River Blyth, shown on Hodksinson's 1783, Bowen's 1755, Saxton's 1575 and Speede's 1610 maps (S1)(S2)(S4)(S5). Construction date unknown but bridges have been recorded here in 1227, 1588, 1783, 1898 and 1926 (S3).
June 2000: Monitoring found structural element of earlier bridge, WWI pill box and two WW2 concrete cubes (S6).
- --- SSF21019 Bibliographic reference: Saxton C. 1575. SVFFOLKIAE.
- <S1> SSF7530 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson J. 1783. A Map of the County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- <S2> SSF1406 Cartographic materials: Bowen E. 1755. Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF7001 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk I-Y, 1990.
- <S5> SSF21473 Bibliographic reference: Speede, J.. 1610. Suffolke Described, 1610. Speede J, Suffolke Described, 1610.
- <S6> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Sommers M, Monitoring Report, June 2000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2016 10:56AM