Monument record MRM 049 - Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2716 4643 (63m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cropmark of oval enclosure, circa 55m x 40m, open on NE side (S1-S2). Close to sub square enclosures MRM 050 & 051.
A probable Prehistoric curvilinear ditched enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, at TM 27164643. The enclosure is 62m across at its widest point and is of irregular curvilinear shape. A possible entrance into the enclosure can be seen on the northern side at TM 27164646, where one of the ditch terminals turns outwards slightly. A larger gap in the enclosure ditch is visible at the eastern side but it is unclear whether the gap is real or whether the cropmark has not developed as clearly in that area for other reasons. The shape of the enclosure suggests that it may be of Prehistoric date (S3-S5). This feature is assumed to the be the same as the feature described initially but (S1) and (S2) were not available for consultation (S6).
- <S1> SSF13145 (No record type): OS OS/92364 095 XX-June 1992.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/92363 109 XX-JUN-1992.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2746/1/291 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2746/1/293 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BQK89/90) 16-JUL-1974.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 02/07/02.
- <S7> SXS50124 Photograph: Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. Norfolk Landscape Archaeology Air Photography. NAU AP JGC 6-11 July 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 2:53PM