Monument record MRM 051 - Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 271 463 (555m by 474m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- TRACKWAY (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- HOUSE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
Cropmark of trackways which combine with field boundaries(?) to make possible sub square enclosure, enclosing small ring ditch MRM 048 (S1-S2). NE-SW trackway probably links with trackway within MRM 026.
Fragments of ditched enclosures and trackways can be seen as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 27264643, to the east of Hill Farm, Martlesham. The site consists of a number of probable rectilinear enclosures, centred on TM 27334630 and TM 27284650. A short stretch of trackway is visible running south-west to north-east from TM 27254643 to TM 27404652. Another short stretch of trackway is visible branching off this to the north and the trackways form the southern and western boundary of the most northerly rectilinear enclosure. To the south another rectilinear enclosure is visible, centred on TM 27194623, which appears to be part of a wider field system. Three ring ditches are also visible within this enclosure, centred on TM 27144624, TM 27204627 and TM 27224626, measuring roughly 17m, 8m and 17m in diameter respectively, with the first and third ring ditches being incomplete. A fragmentary oval enclosure is also visible, centred on TM 27094643. These may represent hut circles. The field system is possibly of Later Prehistoric or Roman date and may relate to MRM 026 and MRM 037. Photographs (S1) and (S2) were not available for consultation. (S3-S6)
See MRM 048, 049 and 050 for the other enclosures within this complex.
- <S1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 92364 095 XX-JUN-1992.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 92363 109 XX-JUN-1992.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2746/1 (SF1658/291) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2746/1 (SF1658/293) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/79 Part II 5200-5201 27-JUL-1948.
- <S6> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BQK89/90) 16-JUL-1974.
- <S7> SXS50124 Photograph: Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. Norfolk Landscape Archaeology Air Photography. NAU AP JGC 6-11 July 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 2:58PM