Monument record LKD 005 - Round Barrow called Cuckoo Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7856 6941 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
In Long Belt Wood, between Hall Heath and Intercommon Heath, is a tumulus (S1). Marked on OS, 1836 1st ed map (S7). Scheduled
Small mound, about 2 feet high (S6).
1976: Mound height circa 1.27m, diameter circa 21m (S2).
1977: Round barrow, stands about 1.2m high and has a diameter of 21m. There is no sign of a ditch. The barrow is in good condition standing undisturbed in a woodland strip (S3).
1977: A bowl barrow situated on level ground, it has a diameter of 24m and a maximum height of 1.5m. There is no trace of a ditch. A wedge shaped bank runs due S for 150m from the barrow, reducing from 12m wide at its N end to 5m at the S and has a maximum height of 1.1m, with no side ditches. It is probably a tree bank, comparable to other local Breckland examples (S4).
1981: Extremely difficult to locate. Fortunately field boundary deviates at this point to indicate barrow. 3 firs and some dead trees - covered in nettles and undergrowth; impossible to estimate measurements (S3).
1986: Field boundary to E still bows around barrow. Bank to S of barrow, follows E edge of belt of trees and may well be a boundary related to it (S3). Long bank/mound may be pillow mound associated with rabbit warren.
1991: Difficult to find, lies in ill-cared for deciduous woodland.
- <M1> SSF42948 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 627.
- <S2> SSF19410 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, Barrow Survey, 1976.
- <M2> SSF42949 (No record type): Barrow survey archive :.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE9, 1977.
- <S5> SSF10465 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J et al, The Barrows of East Anglia, East Anglian Archaeology.
- <S6> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, 1954.
- <S7> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1st edition, 1836.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13529)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13987)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13933)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by IPSMG ? (Ref: IPSMG ?) (ESF12857)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (BHS) (Ref: OS (BHS)) (ESF13796)
- Event - Survey: Survey by SAU EM (Ref: SAU EM) (ESF14470)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2021 1:28PM