Poorly Located Monument record BUN 161 - St Thomas of Canterbury Church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33 89 (10000m by 10000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Probably one of five churches (also see BUN 006 & 020, ISA 005, ISJ 004, ISL 004) recorded in the Domesday Survey (S1) (S3).
Probably includes Church of St Thomas of Canterbury which was appropriated by Convent of God & Holy Cross. Still in use in 1500.
Mentioned in White's directory of Suffolk, 1844, 428.
Site is unknown - possibly destroyed in fire of 1699 (S2).
Formerly recorded as BUN MISC
- <S1> SSF4995 (No record type): Darby H C, The Domesday Geography of Eastern England, 1971, 191.
- <S2> SSF7009 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: East Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S3> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, Domesday Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:36AM