Monument record LMD 093 - Spelthorn Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 878 480 (705m by 486m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ancient woodland as defined in (S1). For details of history and earthworks see (S1), the Suffolk Wildlife Trust, English Nature and the County Council Countryside section (Peter Holborn and Geoff Sinclair) & various Oliver Rackham works including (S2).
Spelthorne Wood - `Le Speltne' a wood about 80 acres 1386, belonging to the Abbot of Bury St Edmunds (S2). `Spelton Wood' 1580 (S2), `Spelthorne Wood, a wood of 73a 2r 24p' 1830 (S4). Northern part of the wood felled in mid C19. Remaining part of the wood now coniferised except a small patch at the S end. Possible hollow way in the middle at TL 8784 4812 (S5).
- <S1> SSF11664 Unpublished document: Nature Conservancy Council. June 1992. Suffolk Inventory of Ancient Woodland (provisional).
- <S2> SSF17343 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Woods. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 50-51.
- <S3> SSF220 (No record type): Amyce Israel, Map of Melford 1580, redrawn by Long Melford Hist & Arch Soc c.1990.
- <S4> SSF21510 Map: 1839. Long Melford Tithe Map and Apportionment. SRO (B), T145/1,2, Tithe map and apportionment of Long Melford, 1839.
- <S5> SSF19404 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 1 1996 12:00AM