Monument record LMD 094 - Lineage Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 889 484 (998m by 1247m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Ancient woodland as defined in (S1). For details of history and earthworks see (S1), the Suffolk Wildlife Trust, English Nature and the County Council Countryside section (Peter Holborn and Geoff Sinclair) & various Oliver Rackham works including (S2).
Lineage Wood - `Lenynge' a wood of about 90 acres belonging to the Abbot of Bury St Edmunds 1386 (S2), `Lynnydge Wood' 1580 (S3), `Linnage Wood' a wood of 114a 2r 1839 (S4). E-W running track with a wood bank on the north side marks the edge of the original wood; area to the south - Crabtree Wood and Little Bear's Hill - named as `Ladyden Hylls' in 1580 (S3), apparently not woodland in 1790 (S2), shown as a plantation in 1820 and in 1839 - `Crabb Trees, plantation, 13a 3r 2p', `Little Bears Hill, plantation, 8a 3r 34p' and `Part of Great Bears Hill, plantation, 3a 2r 16p' (S4).
Possible short length of hollow way at TL 8865 4821. Bank at S end of former `Crabb Trees' where land drops down to the Chad Brook, probably same as 1580 boundary of `Ladyden Hylls' (S5). Part of wood bank on east side of Lineage Wood (TL 8910 4830 approx) apparently re-used as an anti-tank defence in 2nd World War (S6).
- <S1> SSF11664 Unpublished document: Nature Conservancy Council. June 1992. Suffolk Inventory of Ancient Woodland (provisional).
- <S2> SSF17343 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Woods. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 50-51.
- <S3> SSF220 (No record type): Amyce Israel, Map of Melford 1580, redrawn by Long Melford Hist & Arch Soc c.1990.
- <S4> SSF21510 Map: 1839. Long Melford Tithe Map and Apportionment. SRO (B), T145/1,2, Tithe map and apportionment of Long Melford, 1839.
- <S5> SSF19404 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1996.
- <S6> SSF17356 (No record type): Rackham O, personal communication 1996, visible on wartime APs now in Washington, USA.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 10:29PM