Monument record BUC 011 - Two overlapping rectilinear enclosures of probable Prehistoric or Roman date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2545 4203 (116m by 152m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Two overlapping subrectangular enclosures with main entrances to W. Larger one measures circa 80m by 80m with gently curving sides, smaller one circa 50m by 30m. Both are linked to other (field?) boundary ditches and complex of linear cropmarks. Ring ditch BUC 005 is situated within this complex to the N of the two enclosures.
Two overlapping rectilinear enclosures of probable later prehistoric or Roman date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM254420, about 120 metres to the south-west of Bucklesham Hall, Bucklesham parish. They appear to represent two phases of a possible settlement. The smaller, and possibly earlier enclosure, appears to measure approximately 40 by 50 metres, but it is not certain that the full extent is visible. The larger enclosure is composed of two cells which in total measure approximately 130 metres by 80 metres, the main subdivision dividing it roughly in half. Further subdivisions may be present in the southern half. A ring ditch of circa 13 metres diameter, probably the remains of a round house, is located within the enclosed area. It is not entirely clear to which phase it belongs but it would sit most comfortably within the smaller enclosure. A second, more irregular ring ditch is visible at the northernmost point of the larger enclosure, but it is not clear whether it is associated with the enclosures. The complex of enclosures may be the remains of a later prehistoric enclosed settlement or farmstead. It is probable, although not evident from the cropmark evidence, that the enclosures are associated with the surrounding cropmark field system (BUC 080) (SS3-5)
- <M1> SSF43544 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASK 25, 1967.
- <S2> SSF18923 (No record type): SAU, APs, ACQ 23, AGK 23, AJA 6, 1976-1978.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 (F22) 392-3 23-JUL-1963.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2542/15 (RHF 19522/05) 09-JUN-1980.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2541/18 (1766/456) 04-JUN-1980.
- <S6> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 3 2018 3:50PM