Poorly Located Monument record HRG 013 - Hargrave

Please read our .


Hargrave. Formerly recorded as HRG MISC


Grid reference TL 78 59 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL75NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Hargrave. Recorded as of 1108 acres in 1911 (S3) & 1781 acres in 1912. Recorded as Haragraua in Domesday Book, Haregraue in 1150 (Bury Abbey documents) and Hargrave in 1254 (The Valuation of Norwich). Meaning said to be hares grove or grey grove (S1).
The Manor of Hargrave was held by the Abbot of St Edmunds in 1066 to 1539 when passed to Kyton, Gage & Hervey Families (S2). For Hargrave Hall see HRG 008.
`Southwood Park (see HRG 009) once a separate parish, has been merged in Hargrave....It comprises 553 acres. There is no church..' (S3). For details of population figures etc, see (S2).
Also see Industrial Archaeology report of 1967-1968 (R1).

Formerly recorded as HRG MISC

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <R1> (No record type): Untitled report, 1967-1968, SRO(Bury), GC 306/36.
  • <S1> (No record type): Ekwall E, English Place-Names (4th ed), 1960.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 162.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 21 2020 8:36AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.