Monument record MRM 053 - Bronze Age to Iron Age finds at Martlesham Heath Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 254 452 (164m by 137m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Area of assessment (including barrow & ring ditch sites MRM 011 & 019) - theoretically prior to erection of British Telecom equipment and formation of earth bank but partially following works carried out in breach of planning conditions. Finds include beaker potsherd , worked & burnt flint and other undated pottery and features (S1).
Evaluation revealed one small area with intact archaeological deposits with LBA or EIA pottery. Trenches 1, 6 & 8 showed various archaeological features but no finds, some could be animal disturbance but some 'ditch like'. Further details in (S2)(S3)(S4).
Evaluation in 1995 by Boulter, S., produced no evidence of archaeological activity. S5
- <S1> SSF19740 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, September 1995.
- <M1> SSF43729 (No record type): Assessment archive:.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Boulter S, SCCAS Report,97/78, 1997.
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Newman J, SCCAS Report 98/85, 1998.
- <S4> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Abbot C, SCCAS Report, 95/35, 1995, ill.
- <S5> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Boulter, S., SCCAS. 15/11/1995..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2016 11:07AM