Monument record BAR 063 - Barningham Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 940 780 (1241m by 1695m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Approximate outline of Barningham Park. Bowen's map of 1755 shows a small rectangular park to the east of Fakenham Wood, enclosing a house (stylistic depiction)(S1).
A more reliable outline is given on Hodskinson's map of 1783 which shows distinct park boundary, with a group of buildings to the east. An E-W avenue runs from these to Fakenham Woods (S2).
The 1838 Tithe map shows an ornamental line of trees running N-S for approximately 500m to the N of the buildings (marked as Barningham Park Farm on Tithe map)(S3).
Half a dozen of these still survive as mature ?oaks (c.200-300 years old) to the immediate W of BAR 025 (S4).
The Duke of Grafton purchased the Barningham Hall estate from the Shelton family some time during the mid C18 (S5).
By the time of the 1st edition OS and the Tithe map, Barningham Park had been subsumed within the Euston estate. Not recorded as a deer park in the Suffolk Atlas.
For house and earthworks within Park see BAR 050.
- <S1> SSF1405 (No record type): Bowen E, Map of Suffolk, 1755.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF1003 Map: 1838/39. Bardwell Tithe Map and Apportionment. Bardwell Tithe map, 1838, SRO(B) T41/2.
- <S4> SSF21932 (No record type): Sussams K, Brecks Survey, March 1995.
- <S5> SSF10290 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller (2nd ed), 1764.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2019 2:22PM