Monument record ELV 035 - Spinks Lodge, Warrener's Lodge, Elveden Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7957 8227 (59m by 71m)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Building currently marked on OS map as Spinks' Lodge. Described on Hodskinson's map of 1783 as Elveden Lodge (S1). 1841 tithe map marks this as `Warren House' (S2). Located on the edge of Elveden Warren - highly likely to be warren lodge, although unclear if originally a medieval building, present building looks like C19 farmhouse. Derelict.
1801/2: ?shown on plan by John Griffin (1801) as Elden Lodge within Elden Warren (R1).
See ELV 039 for record of the Rabbit Warren.
2010 The Breckland Society survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified Elveden Warren (ELV 039) and Lodge. Two lodge sites are marked on Hodskinson's 1783 Map and an 1802 Estate Plan names them as Eldon Lodge and High Wrong Lodge. The former is marked as "warrenhouse" on 1841 Tithe Map, now known as Spinks Lodge, which is a farmhouse-type building of chalk and flint, and is now a private dwelling (S3).
- <R1> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. SRO(B), Q/SH/28, Feb 1802.
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF5696 Map: 1841. Elveden Tithe Map. Elveden Tithe map, 1841, SRO(B) T57/1,2.
- <S3> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 20.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 2:29PM