Monument record BSE 130 - Eastgate Barns; Holderness Barn; Eastgate Grange
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8601 6486 (101m by 101m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Monastic Grange owned by the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds known to have existed from the C14 if not before. For documentary sources see below (R1-R5). On 1886 & 1926 OS maps recorded as `Grange Farm on site of Holderness Barn' (S1)(S2).
Now occupied by Sugar Beet factory, extent of destruction unknown.
December 1999: Evaluation - for finds see BSE 130. Results proved inconclusive, SCCAS Report 99/73 (S3).
- --- SSF57646 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1999. Archaeological Evaluaion Report: Former site of Eastgate Barns, Eastern Way, BSE.
- <S1> SSF12805 (No record type): OS, 1:500 map, 1886.
- <R1> SSF5583 (No record type): Eastgate Grange Estate Plan, C19, SRO(B) 373/15.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, 44.7, 1926.
- <R2> SSF5581 (No record type): Eastgate Barns (alias Holderness) Manor or Farm Grange, 1780, SRO(B) 304/2.
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Gill D, SCCAS Report, 99/73, December 1999.
- <R3> SSF5582 (No record type): Eastgate Barns Farm, Deeds & papers 1677-1857, SRO(B) HC 539/C1/1-10.
- <R4> SSF10593 (No record type): Lobel, M.D.. Lobel M D, "The Borough of Bury St Edmunds", Oxford Clarenden Press, 1935.
- <R5> SSF7596 (No record type): Holderness/Eastgate Barns Farm, map, 1798, SRO(B) 2198.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2017 1:01PM