Monument record LDG 010 - Tinkers' Close
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 719 581 (439m by 496m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LIDGATE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Possible outer bailey area to castle containing the church, a probable triangular market place (Tinkers' Close) and possible burgage plots. A weekly market existed here between C13-C15 (a market was in use 1279), even though there is no record of an actual market grant. Manorial records refer to `burgesses' and `burgage tenure', some at least at or in `le Baille' (S1).
Tinkers' Close has now been incorporated into an arable field, with a track down one side. A sloping pasture field to the S of the church has earthworks of a wide ditch and undulations possibly indicative of house sites (S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF950 (No record type): Bailey M (Corpus Christi, Cambridge), April & June 1996.
- <S2> SSF10553 (No record type): Lidgate enclosure act & map, 1817, SRO(B) 1201/5.
- <S3> SSF12132 (No record type): North C, annotated 1903 25" map, December 1995.
- <S4> SSF19469 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, site visit, 1996.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2021 10:15PM