Monument record LKH 136 - Grime Fen; White Fen (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7137 8446 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Formerly mislocated at LKH 123.
?1954-1960: Sherds of pink (shell?) gritted ware from `three pots' found with male skeleton (S1)(R1)(S2)(S3). See Un for skeleton. Note kilns producing similar pottery, LKH 001, to E. Material probably in MIHLM. Skeleton in Cambridge University Museum, detailed report with (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S4). Formerly recorded as part of LKH 007 and given ?inaccurate findspot of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S2)(S3). Recorded as from White Fen in (S2) but findspot given in (S1) actually near Grime Plantation in Grime Fen.
March 1962: "(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) took me to the field directly N of Allsop's two field, only the drove in between & showed me spot where human skeleton found. Marked on map (R1) also spot sherds found, about 20 yards away... (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)l" (S4).
Located at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) by OS (S1), but the references to the skeleton imply that LKH 136 is the true location.
Also Pal, Neo & Un.
- <R1> SSF11323 (No record type): MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, TL 78 SW?.
- <M1> SSF44121 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW13E, 1964.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath RB, 1962.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1962, PSIA, 29, 1962, (2), 172.
- <S4> SSF6463 Source Unchecked: Flack D. 1989. Grime Fen. Flack D, October 1989.
- <S5> SSF1464 (No record type): Briscoe G, 1962 diary, entry for 15 March 1962, 25 & 110.
- FSF19134: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 26 2020 11:23AM