Monument record FML 009 - Church of St Michael
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 285 635 (99m by 109m)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMLINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Suffolk archdeaconry, Loes deanery. Status : rectory. Date : Perpendicular. The position of the church is in Framlingham itself (S2).
Building begun mid C15. Structure : chancel and side chapels, nave with clerestory, aisles, battlemented S porch and SW tower. Howard monument in the S aisle (S1). Hammerbeam roof and flushed panelling decorate the W tower. Contains octagonal font with original cover (S3). Nave roof and organ case illustrated (S4).
A knapped flint from the masonry of church is now in Passmore Edwards Museum, London (S5).
Scarfe records this as a possible Domesday Minster (S6).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 340-357.
- <S2> SSF20782 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984- 1985, ms.
- <S3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1974, 216-217.
- <S4> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 108, 238 (ill).
- <S5> SSF15531 (No record type): Passmore Edwards Museum Register, 1985, accession number 15507.
- <S6> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2014 10:59AM