Monument record WLY 028 - Brick Kiln Field (field name, 1837)

Please read our .

Summary

Brick kiln suggested by name `Brick Kiln Field' on tithe map for field numbers 77 and 63 (S1). Formerly recorded as WLY MISC

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 81 64 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL86SW
Civil Parish WESTLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Brick kiln suggested by name `Brick Kiln Field' on tithe map for field numbers 77 and 63 (S1).
Possibly same as that listed (and said to be at TL 822 642) run by James Lee (1853-1864); James Lee (exors of)(1864-1873); John Lee (1870-1883); William Rushbrook (1883-1892 closed) in (S2).
Not shown on OS 1st edition, 1885 or 1903 OS 1:2500 maps, although a small square structure is marked at TL 8224 6393 within a small pit adjoining and to N of Westley Bottom Farm, which may be a kiln (S3).

Formerly recorded as WLY MISC

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Map: 1837. Westley Tithe Map and Apportionment. Westley, Tithe Map & Apportionment, 1837, SRO (Bury).
  • <S2> (No record type): Suffolk Industrial Archaeology Society Newsletter, 24, December 1988.
  • <S3> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, 1885.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 22 2019 3:44PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.