Monument record SMT 002 - Church of All Saints; Church of St Margaret
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8107 5302 (72m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Sudbury deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel with S chapel, nave, S porch, W tower with pinnacles. Date : Norman nave, early C14 chancel and chapel, tower and porch Perpendicular. The church is located in the centre of the parish (S4). The E window is a Perpendicular insertion. Font is Perpendicular, octagonal and simple. The pulpit is Jacobean (S2). Plain C12 N doorway. Fragments of C13 sepulchral slab built into the wall of the chapel at the NW corner. C16 font (S3).
The SIA visited All Saints Church in April 1860 and described "a well preserved and well designed Norman arch" in the N doorway, an 'Early English' chancel with a second chancel of the same period; a tower built in C15 contains several bells of great interest. Three of them bear the dates 1573 and 1578 and the name of the maker, Stephen Tonni of Bury St Edmunds.. The fourth bell is inscribed '1681 Miles Graye made me'" (S1).
Church is dedicated to All Saints in (S1) (S2) and (S3), but marked as St Margaret's on OS 1:10560 provisional edition 1959. OS 1:10000 of 1984 misses off dedication.
Taken from NRHE record:
A small 13th century flint church with a blocked Norman north doorway with 1 order of shafts with scalloped heads. The west tower has diagonal buttresses and a castellated parapet with flint and stone chequer work. The chancel and chancel chapel are early 14th century.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 408.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975, (2), 424.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 347.
- <S4> SSF20772 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeol & Hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <S5> SSF15198 (No record type): OS, map 1:10560, provisional edition 1959.
- <S6> SSF15179 (No record type): OS, map 1:10000, 1984.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2021 10:21AM