Monument record DEM 004 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7558 6181 (53m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||DENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Thingoe deanery. Status : vicarage. Structure : chancel, N chapel, nave, S porch, embattled W tower. Date : mostly Decorated and Perpendicular, Elizabethan chapels. The church lies next to Denham Hall in the SE of the parish (S5). The SIA visited Denham church in July 1861 and noted "the very beautiful tomb... to Edward Lewkenor, one of the former possessors of the Hall' (S1). "N doorway plainest Norman. NE chapel a C17 addition". Monument to Sir Edward Lewkenor big four-poster with kneeling family, ten of them, in double file, facing E. Big superstructure with obelisks and strapwork" (S2). Further information on monument to Sir Edward Lewkenor in (S3). "The church (St Mary) is small, of late Decorated and Perpendicular character. On the N side is an Elizabethan chapel containing monuments of the Lewkenor family" (S4).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 412.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975 (second edition), 187.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 260.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 122.
- <S5> SSF20782 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984- 1985, ms.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 1986 12:00AM