Monument record SRL 014 - Deerbolts Hall; Deer Rought Hall (1783)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 11190 58430 (88m by 61m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STONHAM EARL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Irregular hybrid oval/rectangular moated site containing 0.9 acre. Narrow encircling moat/ditch, enlarged on the NE side into a pond. Tree-coveredon 1880s and later maps (S1) and still tree-covered, entrance to S. Lies approximately 150m N of Deerbolts Hall (Deer Rought Hall on 1783 map), on the crest of a N-facing slope.
'Creeting Apud Montem al Derebolt's' was a sub-manor of Stonam Earl. In 16th century was owned by Sir Philip Bothe, in 1535 by Sir Andrew Windsor, in late 16th century by Thomas Goodall (annexed to main manor) and by 1837 by Nicholas Hankey Smith. Thomas Driver of Deerbolts Hall was High Sheriff of Suffolk in 1726 (S2).
The existing Deerbolts Hall to the S is early 18th century (a replacement of the earlier sub-manor moated site?).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2009 4:26PM