Monument record WTH 006 - Church of St Mary the Virgin
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6510 4778 (70m by 99m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHERSFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Clare deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S porch, embattled W tower with stair turret. Date : Perpendicular, S chancel rebuilt and S aisle added 1867. The church is positioned in the centre of the parish in the village (S6).
The SIA visited the church in June 1862 and described it as a "fine church with a good carved screen, a small brass tablet recording the building of the N aisle by one Robert Wyburgh, some very fine poppy-heads to the benches, a Jacobean pulpit (precis) (S1).
"Perpendicular, except for the S chapel which is Decorated but rebuilt. Chancel rebuilt and S aisle added in 1867". The font is octagonal and probably C17 (precis) (S2).
"A feature of this church is the remarkable poppy-heads to the nave benches on the S side". "The only old roof is that to the N aisle which is a good example of C15". "There is a good C13 iron ring handle on the S door" (precis) (S3).
"In the nave is a brass bearing a shield and inscription to the memory of Joan Bury died 1579. The plain embattled W tower is Perpendicular" (precis) (S4).
- <M1> SSF36762 (No record type): Photographs : AAW 09 AAW 010 AAW 011,.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 416.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975 (second edition), 495-496.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 369.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 392-393.
- <S5> SSF20782 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984- 1985, ms.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 1986 12:00AM