Monument record WTL 002 - Church of St Mary (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6904 4764 (90m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE WRATTING, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Clare deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel, nave, S porch, W wooden turret. Date : originally Norman with Decorated alterations. Church is positioned in the N of the parish (S4).
The SIA visited the church in June 1862 and noted it as a "small Norman edifice with Early English and Decorated details" (S1).
"The nave is probably late Anglo-Saxon". "The E half of the chancel is Decorated, the Norman chancel arch is a Victorian introduction". The piscina is also in the Decorated style (precis) (S2).
"This church has an interesting timber construction at the W end to support the bell turret, with heavy wall posts, carried down to massive floor plate". This is the only instance in Suffolk, though the construction is common in Essex. "A C15 bell is inscribed SANCTUM MORE MODO PULSO LAUDIS HONORE" (precis) (S3).
"The S doorway of the nave, with its door and ironwork, and parts of the walls, are Norman. The E window and the piscina and crocketted canopy are Decorated. The other windows are Perpendicular. "In 1875 the church was re-roofed and restored" (precis) (S4).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 416.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975, (2), 343.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 372.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 400.
- <S5> SSF20779 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology & history, 1984- 1985, ms.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 1986 12:00AM