Monument record COW 019 - Mill Farm, Cowlinge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7143 5363 (26m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||COWLINGE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Windmill shown on 1846 Tithe Map, named as `House, Homestead, Windmill, Outbuildings' owned and occupied by John Gooch jun (S1).
(TL 71445364) Windmill (Dis) (NAT) (S2)
The windmill, a wooden tower-mill, was demolished in 1957. Beside its site is a barn, at TL 71455363, which was used in the 19th century for a steam-powered cornmill. (S3)
TL 714536. A smock mill demolished in February 1955. (S4)
- <S1> SSF4189 Map: 1846-48. Cowlinge Tithe Map. Cowlinge Tithe Map & Apportionment, 1846-8, SRO (B), T74/1,2.
- <S2> SSF59873 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 6" 1958.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- <S4> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2021 11:31AM