Monument record IPS 265 - Halifax Shipyard, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1625 4215 (172m by 237m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Area adjacent to River Orwell used for shipbuilding from at least the 18th Century. One of four yards listed in 1764 (S4). Shown on map/plans (S1,S2).
Yard improved for the construction of `The Orwell' (1350 tons) built 1815/17, yard then owned by Jabez Bayley (R1).
Further details in (S3).
2005-2006: Monitoring, (S6, S7).
Also Shipyards and Premises illustrated on Tithe Map 1840, St Mary Stoke. Tithe apportionment states: Landowner: Ashmore William, Occupier: Read William and Page Enos, Description: Ship Yards and Premises (S8).
- <S1> SSF16419 Cartographic materials: Chapman, W.. 1797. Plan of W Chapman's proposed new channel for the River Orwell. Plan of W Chapman's proposed new channel for the River Orwell, 1797.
- <S2> SSF16413 Cartographic materials: George Hurwood. Plan by George Hurwood of River Orwell and proposed improvements, c.1838. Plan by George Hurwood of River Orwell and proposed improvements, c.1838.
- <S3> SSF20747 Unpublished document: Sommers M. 1996. Brief Maritime History of Suffolk. SAU, Sommers M, Brief Maritime History of Suffolk, September 1996.
- <S4> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). Page W (ed), Victoria County History of Suffolk, II, 1907, 199-246.
- <S5> SSF10697 Bibliographic reference: Malster, R.. 1978. Ipswich: Town on the Orwell. Malster R, Ipswich: Town on the Orwell, 1978.
- <S6> SSF57210 Unpublished document: Gardner, R. 2005. 541-543 WHERSTEAD ROAD, IPSWICH IPS 486 Archaeological Monitoring Report.
- <S7> SSF50573 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2006. Archaeological Monitoring Report, 541-543 Wherstead Road, Ipswich, IPS 519.
- <S8> SSF57810 Map: 1840. Tithe Map and Apportionment, St Mary Stoke, Ipswich.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Desk Based Asessment, Ipswich UAD Map Interpretation. (ESF25214)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment? Halifax Shipyard, Ipswich., Ipswich. (ESF24790)
- Event - Survey: Monitoring, 541-543 Wherstead Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9317). (ESF24948)
- Event - Survey: Monitoring, 541-543 Wherstead Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9317). (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-20819) (ESF20271)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2017 2:14PM