Monument record CHT 009 - County Farm (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8885 4234 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CHILTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
September 1996: Series of (field boundary/drainage?) ditches containing Med pottery found in evaluation trenching (S1). Within area of earlier fieldwalking (surface finds include Rom coin, C14 silver halfpenny, two fragments of late C14 bronze spur, fragments of Med buckles and sheet metal fragments) and desk- based assessments - see CHT 010 and (S2)(S3)(S6) for details.
1997: Excavation revealed further evidence for Late Saxon/Early Medieval village, post built, double roomed, rectangular building in SE area of site (S5).
- <S1> SSF51537 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1996. County Farm, Chilton. Archaeological Evaluation.
- <S2> SSF51478 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1996. A Preliminary Fieldwalking Survey at Chilton near Sudbury.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, CP/97/11/4 & 5, 1997 & CP/97/32/12 & 33/13 -16, June 1997.
- <S5> SSF51360 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1998. Archaeological Excavation Report, Chilton Farm, Chilton.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1). P.91.
- FSF19840: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF28152: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF28153: COIN (14th century to 15th century - 1301 AD to 1400 AD)
- FSF28154: SPUR (14th century to 15th century - 1351 AD to 1400 AD)
- FSF28155: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2013 2:31PM