Poorly Located Monument record FRK 171 - Chapel of the Blessed Mary of Freckenham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 68 72 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
(Pilgrim?) Chapel of the Blessed Mary of Freckenham. First recorded in a documentary of circa 1281, last recorded in 1548 (S1), although said to be in existence in 1185 (S1 69, 112 & 134).
Circa 1281: `John (in 1295 named Lord John) chaplain to the Chapell of the Blessed Mary of Freckenham' named as a witness (S1)(R1).
Circa 1319: Listed as `Libera Capella (free chapel) in Frekenham (of blessed Mary) predict' (S1)(R2).
1333: Recorded abutting a grant of land (S1)(R3).
1347: Dires of parts of the gifts accruing to the Chapel of the Blessed Mary t the vicarage of Freckenham to defray the expenses of the chaplain of the chapel (S1)(R4).
1361: One quarter of corn and his robes to the chaplains left to the chapel in will of Robert de Bourne (S1).
1379: Recorded a gift of land said to be `next to the chapel' and also the `boundary of Isleham'(?) and the `Common Way' and the domum (house) of the Bishop of Rochester (S1)(R5).
1548: ....the free chapple of Frekenham being endowed with londes and tenements lying in Frekenham, Iselingham and Badlingham... of the clere yerly value of 46s 2d.... Sir Rafe Warreyn.... taketh to his owne.... but to this free chaple belongith neyther goodes, cattalles, ornaments, jewelles, plate nor household stufe.... (S1, 234)(R6).
Location believed (by Callard) to be either in North Street or Mortimer's Lane (S1). For lengthier discussion see (S1, 128-134).
Possible location TL 6632 7328 (see FRK Misc sf16948)(S2).
Formerly recorded as FRK MISC
- <R1> SSF17559 (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Grant of a croft in the vill of Frakenham made to William Wallis by Henry of Isl.
- <S1> SSF3030 (No record type): Callard E, The Manor of Freckenham, 1924, 63, 69, 71, 74, 76, 86-7, 112, 128-134, 190, 192, 207-8, 2.
- <R2> SSF17557 (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Collation of the Benefices of the Reverend Father the Bishop of Rochester, circa.
- <S2> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. HA507/2/293 SROB.
- <R3> SSF7288 (No record type): Harleian Charter, 57 E 38 (Abstract), 1333.
- <R4> SSF17562 (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Ordination to the Vicarage of Frakenham etc, 1347.
- <R5> SSF7287 (No record type): Harleian Charter, 54 C 42, 1379.
- <R6> SSF3445 (No record type): Chantry Certificates (extract) Roll 45, No 38, County of Suffolk, 1548.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:36AM