Monument record CAM 008 - Roberts Bridge/Cavenham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7737 6821 (23m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
June 1945: Described by Grace Briscoe as 31yds circumference and 2ft wide circle, outlined by chalk and flints. 7 x 8 yds inner diameter with ? entrance 5 yards long. Plainly seen looking W (down slope). Slightly raised above rest of field slope, the top more noticeably than lower part. Orientation ESE- WNW, ? entrance WNW. Two sherds red unglazed pottery found by ? entrance with a small pointed flake. Several worked surface nodules seen; one with blue patina (S3). Approximately 30 yards SW of second ring (CAM 009).
Ring ditch of diameter 26m. No trace on the ground and no finds. The area appears as unnamed waste land on the Enclosure Map of 1802 (S1,S2). A second ring ditch circa 50m away (CAM 009).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE19, 1977.
- <S2> SSF13007 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1976. OS, AP O576/060/133.5. 1976.
- <S3> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. Briscoe Lady G, Suffolk Diary, June 1945 entry, sketch plans.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 05-SEP-77.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2021 3:20PM