Monument record SUT 109 - The Dover Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2798 4872 (50m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1996: Aerial photograph showing abandoned hulk in mud flats opposite Woodbridge Tide Mill Yacht Harbour entrance. Largish vessel, circa 20m in length, parallel sides with short pointed prow and stern (S1). Hulk of sailing barge, The Dover Castle, of Maldon, built at Sittingbourne in 1872. Abandoned at present location in early 1930s (S2).
The remains of the sailing barge described above (S1,S2) are visible as a structure in the River Deben, opposite the Tide Mill Yacht Harbour at TM 27994873, on aerial photographs from 1945 onwards. The barge measures just over 22m in length. (S3, S4) Another small wreck is visible on (S1) at TM 27984869, but this is not visible on earlier photographs and may be modern in date. (S5)
- <M1> SSF44940 (No record type): AP: (S1).
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2748/2 (EXC 16930/08) 13-JUN-1996 (SMR - CP/96/18/8).
- <S2> SSF10694 Source Unchecked: Malster, R.. 1997. Malster R (SIAS), January 1997. Malster R (SIAS), January 1997.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/79 Part I 5037-5038 27-JUL-1948.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/67055 028-029 24-APR-1967.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 11 Jun 2002.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM