Monument record TMW 011 - Timworth

Please read our .

Summary

Deserted former village of Timworth around existing isolated church (TMW 003).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 860 696 (501m by 518m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86NE
Civil Parish TIMWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Deserted former village of Timworth around existing isolated church (TMW 003). At least 14 buildings are shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1). The only ones of which may survive are those to the SE of the present crossroads. Those shown along the S boundary may actually be off the N edge of Timworth Green (TMW 010). Notes scatters TMW 004-008 may represent the remnants of some of these buildings.
The population of Timworth (parish) is recorded as 45 in 1086, 50 taxpayers in 1327, 16 taxpayers in 1524, 29 households in 1674 (75 adults in 1676), 149 inhabitants in 1801, 216 in 1831, up to 241 in 1851, then declines to 182 in 1871, 146 in 1901, 144 in 1931, 99 in 1951, 77 in 1971 & 56 in 1981 (S2).
An area lying E of the church is enclosed by a subtle, but wide, ditch and bank visible on LiDAR. This may either represent an enclosed church and manor complex, or the core of the medieval settlement.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Digital archive: Environment Agency. c1999-2012. LIDAR jpg images (EA).
  • <S1> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 20 2019 12:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.