Monument record ASY 010 - Ashby Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 491 989 (377m by 362m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Claimed as lost village by Beresford in 1954 (R1). Not verified.
Common enclosed by John Wentworth in 1599 (S2, R1)(S1).
No traces of desertion are to be found in the area of the given siting which lies within freshly ploughed land (1978). A farm worker at Ashby Hall Farm stated that had been ploughed up in the field surrounding the church (CRN 01774) (S2).
NGR cited by (S1 & R1?) located to W of church probably should be to E of church - amended in HER accordingly. Just to E is Ashby Green, which is probably part of the same site. Area marked as Ashby Green on OS 1st edition map of 1884 to east of Ashby church. Includes several old gravel pits at the southern end and two large ponds (?old clay pits) at the northern end. Possibly the common enclosed by Wentworth in 1599 (see above ASY 001). Green may have included the triangular strip north of the church shown on the 1884 map (S3). Mapped in HER to include whole area surrounding church including triangular strip and green.
Note: includes area of Med pottery finds listed under ASY Misc (CRN 13684).
Formerly recorded in HER (in duplicate with the curch) as ASY 001 - changed to ASY 010 January 2007.
- <R1> SSF1202 (No record type): Beresford, Lost villages of England, 1954, 386.
- <S1> SSF18641 (No record type): SAU, AP, AGN 19 20, 4 August 1977.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: AGN 19 & 20 4/8/1977.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM49NE7, 1978.
- <S3> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Martin E (SCCAS), report for MAFF (?).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2018 2:07PM