Monument record FLK 020 - Location of a Post Medieval sand pit, visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2847 3885 (31m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||FALKENHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmarks of possible broad ring ditch/circular moat or infilled pit with trackway (or pair of ditches?) cropmarks crossing from NE to SW. Circa 30m in diameter with central `island' of circa 15m diameter (S1).
The location of a former sand pit of probable post-medieval date can be seen as a cropmark on aerial photographs, approximately 130 metres to the south of Back Lane, centred on circa TM28473885, Falkenham parish. The cropmarks are actually forming over the remains of the sand pit, the central 'island' described above is probably composed of slumped soil providing greater moisture to the crop above. The pit is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, which also shows the one of the linear features described above to be a field boundary. (S1-S3)
- <M1> SSF46141 (No record type): AP: (S1).
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP CP/97/38/6, July 1997.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/29 (EXC 19117/06) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/14 (1671/197-198) 06-AUG-1979.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 2:21PM