Monument record MRM 057 - Waldingfield Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2633 4634 (18m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Circular cropmark circa 10m in diameter next to Waldingfield Road, Martlesham (S1-S2). Ring ditch? Similar to larger irregular cropmark to N - possibly former pit.
A small pond or gravel pit of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs at TM 26344634. The feature appears to be a hollow circular area roughly 10m in diameter, rather than a ring ditch as suggested above. It does seem more likely that the feature is a small gravel pit or pond as an irregular area of spoil, also showing as a cropmark, can be seen surrounding the feature on most of the photographs. Its form is also similar to the larger area of quarrying visible to the north in the same field. (S2-S4) This suggestion is supported by photographs taken in 1948 where the spoil around the edge of the feature can possibly be seen as an earthwork. (S5)
- <M1> SSF46142 (No record type): AP: (S1) (S2).
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2646/20 (EXC 19113/35) 22-JUL-1997 (SMR CP/97/34/35).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2646/21 (EXC 19113/36) 22-JUL-1997 (SMR CP/97/34/36).
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2646/3/296 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2646/13 (1767/041) 04-JUN-1980.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/79 Part II 5202-5203 27-JUL-1948.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM