Monument record WNG 030 - Earthwork bank, Wangford Warren; Compartment 2125
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 757 821 (1149m by 762m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Large earthwork bank, at least 2m high (& 400m long on E side). Shown as conifer covered on 1905 map (S1). Forms part of sub-rectangular field/enclosure abutting N side of warren bank (WNG 025). N side of this also conifer covered, W side (abutting turnpike road) mixed wood cover. First(?) demarked (as single line) on OS 1st ed map of 1836 (S2). Probably one of late C18/early C19 tree belts/stock enclosures/fields.
Mostly to W of modern Brandon road, now in confines of USAF Lakenheath where banks (?) will have been destroyed.
1998: Rapid earthwork survey identified part of this large bank in compartment 2125a and 2125b. Bank 1 was described as a large bank, 20m wide, 1m high, aligned NNE-SSW. Appears as two banks 5m apart with the bank to the east being slightly lower at 0.7m high, the area between the banks is 0.5m high.Can be seen as a belt of trees on 2nd edition OS 1905. A second bank was seen, Bank 2 was described as a slight bank 1.5m wide and 0.2m high, perpendicular to above feature although not joined, there being a track width gap (S3).
Note further large banks to N in Wangford - see WNG 022.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2018 2:01PM