Monument record BSE 155 - 7-11 Westgate Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 855 637 (79m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- PIT (12th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1101 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th century - 1066 AD to 1800 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POST HOLE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- OVEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (12th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1101 AD to 1600 AD)
Desk top (S1) and trenched evaluation in response to planning application (S2) revealed Med & PMed occupation covering the northern 50m of the investigated area. Mainly pits, wells and ditches; the north east corner of a probable enclosure and a small fragment of flint and mortar wall. Details in (S3).
March 2000: Monitoring in advance of redevelopment uncovered no further evidence of medieval occupation, for list of finds see (S4).
For more details see S5
- <S1> SSF1450 (No record type): Breen A, 1998.
- <M1> SSF46462 (No record type): Evaluation archive:.
- <S2> SSF19162 (No record type): SAU, Caruth J, 1998.
- <S3> SSF51338 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1998. Eval report. 7-11 Westgate Street, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S4> SSF51636 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 2000. Mon report. Westgate Street, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (3), p.366.
- FSF22789: POTTERY (12th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1101 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF22790: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF22791: ROOF TILE (13th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1201 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF25198: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF25199: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF25200: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2013 3:41PM