Monument record FEX 097 - Ring ditch, possibly the remina of an Iron-Age round house, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 299 365 (29m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch cropmark (S1), circa 15m diameter. Within cropmark complex FEX 057.
A ring ditch, possibly the remains of a drip gulley of round house of Iron Age or Roman date, can be seen as a cropmark centred on circa TM29963653 in Felixstowe parish. The cropmark is quite unclear on the available photographs but the cropmark of the ditch appears to be relatively narrow, almost certainly under 1 metre in width. Its diameter is circa 15 metres. A break in the ditch may be visible on the south-western side. The round house may have been associated with the enclosure, trackway and other possible huts to the north (see FEX 057, FEX 096). (S1, S2)
- --- SSF59991 Article in serial: McMasters. 1971. Colchester Archaeological Group annual bulletin. 20 1977 16 (I McMaster & R H Farrands).
- <M1> SSF46827 (No record type): AP: (S1).
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/17/1 & 2, June 1996.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2936/15 (EXC 19028/01) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3036/12 (EXC 19028/02) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2021 4:35PM