Monument record GLG 014 - Great Glemham Park or Glemham House Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 344 619 (1415m by 941m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT GLEMHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Park probably created when Glemham House was built in 1814 (see GLG 002) but possibly including smaller park like areas associated with the earlier Great Glemham Hall (see GLG 007) and Mill Farm (see GLG 008). No actual park is shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783, but both Great Glemham Hall and Mill Farm are shown. Park is however shown on a map of 1829 and later maps (S1). The park is divided into two parts, the main park and Mill park; separated by the Sweffing Road, for detailed description of the park see S4. The lake was in existence by 1829. The brick park wall has the date 1871 and the initials WB (for Will Barron, an estate worker)(S2). The parks extend was mapped from S4 which appears to be taken from the Sale Particulars Map 1871 in S1.
Park was not laid out by Humphrey Repton (S3) - this is a confusion with the park at Little Glemham.
For the icehouse and gasworks in the park see GLG 015.
For Un cropmarks in the park see GLG 012 and 013.
- <S1> SSF21991 (No record type): Taigel A, Report on Great Glemham House for SCC Landcape Section, 1994.
- <M1> SSF46585 (No record type): Parks: (S1).
- <S2> SSF4200 (No record type): Cranbrook, Lord, 1996.
- <S3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975, 237.
- <S4> SSF54797 Unpublished document: 1995. The Suffolk Coastal, Local Plan, Supplementary Planning Guidance 6, Historic Parks and Gardens.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2022 12:21PM